Monday, January 11, 2016

2015 Updates

2015 Updates

This document contains only the changes and updates from the portfolio submitted for promotion to Associate Professor in January 2015. Promotion was granted, and I have resubmitted the same portfolio with these updates for consideration for tenure. This page was created for those who wish only to view the new material. 


Download here
Return to Cover Page
Continue to Criterion 1

Criterion 1:
·        In 2015, I taught CHEM210 (Summer), CHEM400 (Fall), and CHEM401-02 (Spring).
·        After attending a workshop discussing the utility of using molecular models in the classroom, I used some of my 19B funds to purchase several molecular modeling kits. With these kits I developed the following classroom activities:
§  Identification of amino acid from 3D structure
§  Connection of two 3D amino acids to make a rigid and planar peptide bond
·        I updated the assay for lactate dehydrogenase, which is used in 3-4 laboratory sessions in CHEM400 to be performed on the microplate readers.
·       I adapted discussion board review techniques used in CHEM401 for CHEM400 (Student satisfaction 3.1/5)
·        I worked with Dr. Jon Mauser to develop materials for Calibrated Peer Review in our CHEM400 laboratories (CPR1, CPR2).
·        I developed materials for CHEM190, which I will teach in Spring and Summer 2016.
·        Evaluations of my teaching effectiveness have resulted in an average of 4.6/5 for biochemistry-related coursework and 4.4/5 for non-biochemistry related coursework from 2011-2015.
§  Student assessments indicate that student knowledge increases ~25% per semester, or 50% for the entire school year, on average.
§  More impressively, student retention of knowledge 4 months after learning materials is great, with students retaining >80% of the knowledge from CHEM400 at the end of CHEM401.

Criterion 2:
·        I have written and submitted an abstract for an oral presentation at Experimental Biology 2016 in San Diego, CA. *Updated February 2016: This was accepted for a poster presentation
·        I have worked with Drs. Zemke and Mueller and Ms. Lisa Reicks to evaluate a collaborative research project for the WSU Innovation Valley initiative.
·        I was contracted by Deerland Enzymes to test a product for quality control as a third-party investigator. The total contract was $4500.00.
I have been invited to speak about my research  at the 6th Annual World Congress on Microbes in Nanjing, China on November 16-19, 2016.


Criterion 3:
·        I renewed my membership in ACS and ASBMB
·        I joined ASN
·        I attended three conferences
§  Experimental Biology 2015
§  TERPNET 2015
§  ASBMB “Transforming Undergraduate Education in Molecular Life Sciences”
·        I attended presentation by Jim Middleton on student motivation
·        I participated in a webinar to learn more about Prior Learning Assessment pricing
·        I will attend the ACS Leadership Institute in Dallas, TX in January 2016

Criterion 4:
·        Undergraduate research supervision:
§  Four students presented at Experimental Biology 2015 in Boston, MA.
§  Four more students have been accepted as presenters at Experimental Biology 2016 in San Diego, CA.
§  Four students presented at the 2015 Ramaley Celebration.
§  One student presented his research in an oral format at the MnSCU event.
§  To date, I have supervised 41 student researchers which has generated 81 credits in upper-division chemistry research courses.
§  To date, 32/41 research students have presented or will present at a local, regional, or national conference.
§  My contract with Deerland Enzymes (see Criterion 2) was able to provide a hands-on, paid learning opportunity for several students. A total of 44 student work hours were provided at $12.00/hr. 
·        Advising:
§  I taught the OR100 course for the third time
§  I worked with the Retention and Proselytizing Committee to develop some freshmen community building activities
§  I have been asked to serve on the graduate committees of two students in the Professional Science Masters program.
§  I worked with Winona Health to develop opportunities for student research in the health sciences.
§  I continue to prepare letters of recommendation for students and have written letters for 64 students since Fall 2011.
§  I continue to hear back from students as they find jobs, get into graduate and professional programs, and find career success.
Criterion 5:
·        Service to the university
§  I joined the Credit for Prior Learning Committee, attended one meeting, and participated in one webinar. This committee is ongoing and has bimonthly meetings scheduled throughout 2016.
§  I continue to serve on the Institutional Review Board, and I have reviewed 168 total protocols since 2013.
§  I was asked to serve on the planning and steering committee of the newly developed Winona Health student research committee. I have attended monthly meetings since June 2015, helped develop the research opportunities, and continue to serve by evaluating students for placement with the program on a monthly basis
§  I served as a judge at the 2015 MNAS Regional Science Fair
§  I serve my department by taking part in the program review and evaluation committee. In our fall meeting, we re-evaluated electives for our majors to better serve student needs.
·        Service to the discipline
§  I serve as the La Crosse-Winona section American Chemical Society Chair. I served as Chair-Elect in 2015.
§  I planned two mini-meetings for the ACS section during Fall 2015.
§  I will serve as an undergraduate poster judge at Experimental Biology 2016 for ASBMB
§  I will serve as a regional science fair judge in February 2016

Return to Cover Page
Continue to Criterion 1