Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Criterion 1

                                                                                              

Example Syllabi:

CHEM400                                          CHEM401                           CHEM402                   
CHEM439                                         CHEM210                            PSM602                             
OR100      

Goals and motivations as an educator

Since coming to Winona State in 2011, I have been fortunate to have a similar teaching schedule each year. During fall semesters I teach one lecture and three four-hour labs associated with Biochemistry I (CHEM400). Over the years, I have also picked up the ITV section (which interacts with students at WSU-Rochester) and integrated graduate students into my undergraduate course to benefit the new Professional Science Master’s program (i.e. dual-listing my course as CHEM400/500). In the spring, I teach CHEM401, a lecture, and three sections of the four-hour lab CHEM402. These courses are continuations of CHEM400/500, and roughly half of the students come from my fall courses, while others migrate from courses taught by other instructors. I have also taught the occasional advanced elective and/or service course, but the majority of my load, and thus the majority of my time, is dedicated to teaching biochemistry. As biochemistry is my passion and primary teaching load, one of my goals is to be an effective biochemistry educator.

In order to understand this goal, I feel you need to know some of my educational history. I attended the University of Nebraska-Lincoln for my undergraduate education. While there, I worked in two research laboratories in the Department of Biochemistry, and I was a teaching assistant in the Department of Chemistry. I obtained “As” in all of my biochemistry courses. I graduated with honors and distinction. On paper, I was an excellent candidate for graduate school and was able to select from several schools offering fellowships. I selected Iowa State University and in my first semester I started the graduate series in biochemistry where I learned that I knew approximately as much about biochemistry as I know about Russian history (which is to say nothing). When other people make dramatic statements like this they might mean that they thought they knew all the details about their subject of choice, but in that first graduate class they were exposed to another, deeper, level of knowledge. That is not what I mean. In that first graduate course I realized that “As” in my undergraduate classes meant nothing. I didn’t remember the most basic information. I essentially had to learn it from scratch which, paired with the other stressors in graduate school, was a painful experience. Though I felt ashamed and isolated at the time, I have heard this story many times from many of my friends and colleagues who have moved on to professional and graduate programs. The way we learned in some of our upper-division courses was not effective. It is my overarching goal as an educator to teach biochemistry in a way that prepares my students for their post-WSU goals with basic skills and knowledge that they can call upon at any time. With this motivation, I design my biochemistry courses to have a high level of student concern, offer multiple opportunities for learning in a variety of styles, and reinforce new information with previously learned curriculum in order to support memories.

My current educational philosophy can be summarized in two statements:

1.    Students will be given opportunities to learn and re-learn material prior to formal assessment

 2.   Students will be required to use and apply the material they learn

In the next sections, I provide examples of how I pursue excellence in my classroom and evidence that my efforts are leading to achieving my overarching goal of being an effective biochemistry educator. Please note that these examples come from my CHEM400-402 courses, which is my primary load during the school year. I have also reflected on specific aspects of other courses I have taught later in this document.

Students will be given opportunities to learn and re-learn material prior to formal assessment
Cognitive psychology research has taught educators a significant amount about the way students learn. Specifically, follow-up assessments indicate that students “lose” information at an alarming rate in lecture-based environments [1]However, reaffirming connections between information, and continuously re-using information seem to be the best methods for retaining knowledge [2]In my classroom I use a variety of methods to maximize these interactions in order to aid the retention of information learned.

Method 1: Interactive lectures
If you were a student in my classroom, you would experience a variety of interactions during a typical class period. These include presenting powerpoint slides or worksheets, taking notes on the slides, asking/answering questions, small partner activities, large formal group activities, and group discussions. Student satisfaction with my lectures is high, with an overall average of 4.56/5.00. Assembled data is available for each set of evaluations (CHEM400: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 CHEM401/402: 2012, 2013, 2014. 2015).

Students participate in various activities during their time in class. Specific activities, as well as the assessments paired with these, are linked at the end of this document.  During the lecture, I often stop and ask students to answer a specific question about the content. Some of these questions are informal, and students are invited to shout answers to me. Some of these questions are more formal. I call the more formal questions ‘mini-quizzes’, and during Spring 2013-Spring 2014, I used the classroom response software TopHat (formerly TopHat Monocle) to acquire and assess their answers. TopHat is very useful in a 50+ student lecture, as students must be present to hear the question, must answer the question in a specific amount of time, and get immediate feedback on the correctness of their answer. My favorite utility of this software involves asking a difficult or contentious question, allowing some discussion over the question, and then allowing students to re-answer the question for their final credit. Unfortunately, I do not have any direct assessment of this method because the second answer overwrites the first answer in my gradebook.

During my time using TopHat, I asked students to evaluate the perceived utility of the software (Figure 1). While perceived utility of the software generally increased as I became more proficient in using it and setting up reasonable grading expectations for it, I found that it put up a wall between my students and myself. They were answering questions to a program, not to their instructor. Additionally, while TopHat was absolutely beneficial in my lecture when 78 students were enrolled, lower enrollments in later semesters allowed for more one-on-one attention, and I found TopHat inhibited those interactions. As a result, I discontinued use of TopHat for the 2014-2015 academic year. I may use it again in the future, especially as WSU has invested in a site-license for the software, but I would like to compare my evaluations from the TopHat-using years to the non-TopHat using year.
                                                                              
                                                         
                            
Figure 1: Perceived helpfulness of TopHat software in Biochemistry courses
Method 2: Online quizzes
When I started teaching at WSU, I was of the opinion that student would remain engaged in the course and learn more if they had weekly “pop quizzes”. Exams would be high-stakes, but there would be very few of them. In my first semester, students requested more exams, and each time I’ve asked students how many exams they would like to have in the course (ranging from 2-5), they select the highest number of exams. This indicates to me that students wish to have multiple assessments with less material on them. One would think that the quizzes would fulfill this request, however, the students do not appear to rank quizzes as important as exams.

I used in-class quizzes from F2011-S2013. During F2011-F2012, they were unannounced. Students performed dismally and reported consistently that they found the quizzes less helpful than other assessment techniques in my classes. (Table 1) Additionally, their quiz scores were considerably lower than their average grades in the course (Table 1). Finally, follow-up questions on exams were not demonstrating that the in-class quizzes were increasing student learning or understanding.

Table 1: Student achievement and perceptions related to in-class quizzes from 2011-2013. 

Average Score (%)
Number of Students
Perceived Helpfulness (1-5)
Course Average Grade (%)
Perceived Difficulty (1-5)
F2011
55
52
3.84
82
3.30
F2012
69
69
3.96
82
3.34

S2012
65
59
4.06
81
3.30
S2013
61
68
3.9
78
3.47

In Fall 2013, I moved my course to an online auto-graded quiz format. I prepared short-answer, multiple selection, and multiple choice quizzes that are continuously available to students during each learning module. Students may take and retake these quizzes as many times as they feel is necessary. The quiz is autograded, but it does not reveal the correct answers to them. Also, I deter the fairly common practice of cheating on online quizzes [3] by making them totally voluntary, and students receive no credit for completing them. I have previously incentivized them by including questions directly from the quizzes in my ‘miniquizzes’ (i.e. TopHat or other response system) in class.
Initially,I questioned the utility of these quizzes, as the average scores were not better than the in-class quiz scores.However, further analysis of how students were using these quizzes demonstrated that students were usually assessing their initial understanding, netting them an initial score. Then, students re-took the quizzes (Fall 2013 had an average of 5 attempts per student), focusing on the concepts they didn’t understand and skipping questions on which they had already received 100%. This methodology gave a wide range of final quiz scores (Fall 2013 10-97%) with an average of 62% of students participating in 10 quizzes. In CHEM401, the optional online quiz model has been available since Spring 2012. These quizzes differ in format as more analysis is required for each question, and these long answer questions cannot be autograded by D2L. As such, students typically take the quiz once to reveal the answers I provide and compare their answers. Even so, an average of 55% of students choose to use this learning tool. In CHEM400 and 401 the perceived utility of these quizzes is 3.40/5.00, indicating that most students do find these helpful.  A complete overview of the utility of the optional online quizzes including individual data for each quiz is available in a separate document.

Method 3: Metabolic maps
One of the assignments that is unique to CHEM401 includes the mapping and interconnections of our metabolic processes. CHEM401 focuses on learning multiple metabolic pathways that are involved in energy production and utilization. The textbook focuses on learning these pathways in individual modules, however, these pathways are closely integrated in biological systems. The metabolic map assignment requires students to reproduce not only the metabolic pathways, but the connections between the pathways. For example, the carbohydrate fructose-1,6-bisphosphate is involved in the metabolic pathways glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, the pentose phosphate pathway, sucrose degradation, and starch biosynthesis. However, the book presents these pathways largely individually without indicating the interconnections between them. Students must reproduce the pathways, and those pathways must all connect through a single, central fructose-1,6-bisphosphate. (Metabolic maps assignment sheet). Students generally do well on this assignment, with an average score of 89.4%  on metabolic maps created between 2012-2015.

Metabolic maps are due before the exams, thus forcing students to write out the pathways in practice at least once. Additionally, exams focus on the energy flow and cooperativity of these pathways, and this assignment asks students to evaluate and synthesize these connections prior to the formal assessment. Evaluations indicate this assignment is very helpful, with an average perceived helpfulness score of 4.42/5.00 from 2012-2015.

Summary:
In my classes, students are presented with the material in a lecture. During that lecture, they participate in discussions in large and small groups to facilitate further interaction and analysis of the material. The students are presented with low-stakes “mini-quizzes” and interactive learning opportunities to ensure that they understand the material. Students are provided optional online quizzes to assess learning and understanding of the material, and they are assigned projects promoting integration of the material. All of these learning opportunities are provided before formal examination. Many, if not all of these activities, provide immediate feedback to aid student self-assessment. Overall, students find these activities beneficial, continually ranking each above 70% in perceived helpfulness. Further analysis on the effect of my curriculum and classroom environment on student learning is provided later in this document.

Students will be required to use and apply the material they learn in my courses

To any educator, this statement may seem trivial or obvious. Let me restate this with emphasis on the pieces I find most important: Students will be required to use and apply the material they learn in my courses. In biochemistry it’s common to give examples of uses of specific facts or concepts. It is also common to test on those specific examples. However, I want students to grasp the concepts and then apply them to new situations, which is what they will be doing in their future careers. To facilitate this, I have used several methods with varying degrees of success.  

Method 1: In-class activities
In my first semester at Winona State, I taught CHEM400 from 9:30-10:50 twice per week. This long format lends itself well to in-class activities, and I aimed to be doing 20-60 minute activities in every class period, with several activities for each topic. It was during this course that I ran into some difficulties. First, if students didn’t trust that my activities “had a point”, they wouldn’t do them. Second, if the directions were too convoluted, they would get bogged down in details and miss the biochemistry lesson. Third, students need a solid foundation in the knowledge before they can apply the knowledge effectively. In my end-of-semester assessments, I asked students to rank how much the in-class activities helped them on a scale of 1-5. Notably, my first semester activities showed the lowest average score for perceived helpfulness, and as I learned more about my students and how my students study and learn, I was able to increase the perceived helpfulness’ of the activities (Figure 2).



 Figure 2: Perceived helpfulness of in-class activities in Biochemistry courses
 
While I do host interactive lectures daily, full-formal learning activities focus on topics I felt the students needed to spend the most time and energy to understand. In CHEM400, this topic is enzymes and enzyme kinetics. Learning about enzyme kinetics involves new nomenclature, new units of measurement, and visualization skills, as most enzymes are completely invisible to the naked eye. In CHEM401, the most difficult topic are the biosignalling and regulation pathways involved with how glucose metabolism is controlled in our bodies. As most of my students in my classroom self-report the desire to enter medical or clinical fields (data acquired from 2011-2015), I feel that understanding of these processes is quite important for their future careers. Additionally, I’ve collected data from both CHEM400 and CHEM401 that demonstrates the utility of these full formal activities as compared to alternate assignments.
  • CHEM400: Enzymes
Enzymes are an important subject in CHEM400, and they have very important applications in the pharmacological and medical fields. Unfortunately, my experience both here and at Iowa State University indicates that student performance on enzyme kinetics assessments is poor.  This observation continued even when I made enzyme and protein function the only topic on exams, indicating poor comprehension of the topic. Initially I used a worksheet that required students to work with data to model the behavior of an enzyme using Excel (Assignment). This provided some experience in modeling and interpreting data, which was then assessed on in-class quizzes and exams. In Fall 2013, I instituted the full-formal learning activity, which consisted of an in-class activity requiring students to work in teams to build an enzyme with three distinct parts and measure various parameters of how their enzyme worked (Assignment Sheet, Example Report, Images from 2014 activity). The final report was submitted as a team and required the modeling of the acquired data using Excel. When comparing average assessment scores from classes using the modeling worksheet (F2011-2012) and the full-formal learning activity (F2013-F2015), a clear increase in exam scores is demonstrated after completing of the formal learning activity (+6.2%). Additionally, pre- and post- activity assessments accompanying the full-formal learning activity demonstrate increase in student knowledge and understanding of enzymes from immediately prior to the activity (immediately after lecturing on the topic) and immediately after the activity (Table 3). This is most notable after addition of a fifth question requiring data analysis in 2014 and 2015.
Table 2: Formal (Exam) assessment results following institution of learning activities from CHEM400 2011-2014.
Semester
Fall 2011-Fall 2012
Fall 2013-Fall 2015
Activity
Modeling worksheet

Full-formal activity
Average Exam Score
68.9%
75.1%

Table 3: Pre- and Post-activity assessment results 2013-2015
Question
Pre-quiz % correct
Post-quiz % correct
Average increase in score (Post-Pre)

2013
2014
2015
2013
2014
2015
2013-2015
1
65%
89%
77%
91%
96%
100%
19%
2
79%
76%
63%
94%
87%
96%
20%
3
89%
76%
72%
92%
91%
83%
10%
4
82%
35%
39%
85%
79%
87%
32%
5
N/A
9%
27%
N/A
60%
75%
50%
Most importantly, a formal, summative assessment administered during CHEM400-401 2013-2015 showed retention and comprehension increased up to 56% on two related questions from first-day of CHEM400 to last-day of CHEM401 (i.e. school year retention).  (Questions 4 and 5 described later in this document).

Student feedback on evaluations indicates the perceived helpfulness of the project is generally positive (3.45/5.00). Several students noted that they particularly enjoyed the activity under the evaluation prompt “Please share one aspect of teaching CHEM400 that you feel Dr. Mann does well.”

“Enzyme kinetics project”
“Choosing different activities to help us learn – made it more exciting”
“Projects/activities/labs were helpful and fun”

In Fall 2014, I informally heard from a student who had taken my class in Fall 2013 and was starting Pharmacy School at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She thanked me for providing such effective instruction on this topic:


Figure 3: Student feedback on enzyme activity

In Fall 2015, this project was the specific example cited as the reason one of my students nominated me for a National Residence Hall Honorary 'Of the Month' award. This student clearly understood the effort I put into making biochemistry approachable to a variety of different learners, however, I must note that some negative comments regarding the project were provided under the prompt “Please share one aspect of teaching CHEM400 that you feel Dr. Mann should improve upon.”

“The enzyme project was not very clear and was very confusing”

I strive to make the directions and expectations as clear as possible (e.g. assignment sheet and rubric are provided prior to the due date), and I make myself available for 2-3 class periods for work on this project. However, I do believe that part of learning is the struggle required to completely understand and apply the information. While many students understand that I am supporting them in this endeavor, some students remain uncomfortable with the learning process no matter how much coaching I provide. I believe this full-formal learning activity is largely a success. I have formatted this activity for submission to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education and hope to see it published and utilized in other biochemistry courses.

  • CHEM401: Cooperative analysis of blood sugar regulation
Diabetes mellitus (DM) is a disease most notably characterized by the failure to regulate blood sugar in a normal and productive manner. The incidence of DM is rising in the United States, and the Centers for Disease Control predicts 1.5% (up from current rate of 0.8%) of the American population will be affected by DM by the year 2050 [5]. As most of my students in CHEM401 wish to pursue careers in medically-related fields, I feel strongly students should be exposed to this complex regulatory process as early in their education as possible.

Understanding the regulatory processes for blood sugar in the body requires students to know several pathways in glucose synthesis, storage, and degradation. Understanding the triggers for regulation also requires a working knowledge of several common biosignalling mechanisms. This information spans four chapters (179 pages) of our textbook. It is a large amount of information to compile. In order to start drawing connections between processes, I give one lecture that distills the information into its most basic components, during which students are encouraged to fill out a worksheet that I provide (Link here). One class period later, students form groups of 10-12 to perform a cooperative learning assignment, which is described in the attached documentation (Link here). In short, students role-play specific items in metabolism (enzymes, regulatory hormones, and signaling proteins) and have to visibly display how the actions of upstream elements effect downstream processes during normal and aberrant blood sugar regulation.

The activity is assessed via a pre- and post-quiz, much like the CHEM400: Enzymes activity. I have used this activity three times, in 2012, 2014, and 2015 and was pleased with the gains in student understanding measured in 2012 and 2014 (data not gathered in 2015) (Table 4). Additionally, during the previously mentioned summative assessment in 2014, students demonstrated a 43% increase in correct answers on the question associated with this topic (Question 15 discussed later in this document).. I am very excited to continue this summative assessment and determine learning outcomes for these activities in the future.

I am very pleased with these outcomes, however, this is not my most popular activity. This activity can be quite confusing and difficult for students who have a weak understanding of the material learned in previous chapters. After both informal and formal complaints about this activity in 2012, I decided to see if similar educational gains could be acquired with a less invasive method. Instead of the cooperative learning activity, I performed the same lecture and assigned the worksheet as a take-home quiz. Students returned with the worksheet, and performed small group case studies on normal and aberrant metabolism in which they had to follow regulatory steps. Worksheets were collected and graded (average score 78%, which is comparable to pre-cooperative learning assessments (Table 4)). During the following class period, the same follow-up assessment utilized in 2012 and 2014 (after cooperative learning activity) was administered. The class average on the assessment was a dismal 40.3%, while the unpopular cooperative learning activity nets much greater gains with an average score of 81.1% (Table 4). This data is quite convincing, and I plan to keep this activity.

Table 4: Student learning assessments for blood sugar regulation activities
Year
Number of students
Pre-quiz average
Post-quiz average
Cooperative Learning Activity
2012
59
Not graded
80.7%
2014
44
70.5%
82.0%
Alternate Learning Activity (Take-home Worksheet)
2013
68
78%
40.3%

Method 2: Case studies
In addition to considerable in-class activities, I also administer two online-only case studies via D2L discussion boards during CHEM401. CHEM401 course content focuses on metabolism, and in this course students promote memorization and integration of the pathways using the previously mentioned metabolic maps. In addition to learning the pathways, students are asked to consider the effect of disorder of these pathways in human physiology. They perform this analysis in two case studies, which are performed in small groups of 6-8 students (Assignment sheet). I have developed 18 different case studies to prevent overlap and allow cycling of case studies from year to year. In the first case study, actual medical case studies are sampled and students must diagnose a real disorder of human metabolism. As a biochemistry instructor, my interest is in having the students use the information and interpret it in terms of metabolism. However, inevitably some groups prefer to use this assignment to ‘hunt down’ analogous case studies and just regurgitate all the medical findings. This frustrated me enough to develop a second case study assignment called the “Superhero/Supervillain Case Study”. Instead of solving real human case studies that can fairly easily be found online, students are presented with a case about an individual with superhuman attributes. A change in their metabolism is inevitably the cause of some of the superhuman abilities, and students must justify how changing the pathways would allow the superhuman to obtain or support these powers. As an instructor, I enjoy this case study because it’s not ‘cheatable’, and students have to demonstrate understanding of the materials used in class. An example case study thread from a previous semester is found here. I think these case studies are good for student formative assessment because they must consider and reconsider their knowledge when faced with arguments. Inevitably, students walk away from the case study with a firm understanding of the material. In the three years I’ve facilitated this assignment, typically 8 groups are formed per class, and 7 or more groups achieve the correct answer on the first case study. On the second case study, 5 groups typically achieve the correct answer, 1-2 groups have well-researched answers that are not quite correct, and 1-2 groups fail to obtain the correct answer. Student evaluations indicate that this activity has a fairly strong perceived helpfulness score (4.00/5.00), and I find that this assignment is incredibly helpful for me as an instructor as it helps me understand the methods students are using to learn and analyze material.

Method 3: Laboratory experiments based on lecture content and student inquiry
In previously years, CHEM400 had a laboratory component, while the laboratory component for CHEM401 has always been separate (i.e. CHEM402). In 2016, this will change and both fall and spring courses will have separate labs (CHEM405-409). Since starting at WSU, I have worked to modernize equipment, add variety to the laboratory modules, and provide lecture-based support for laboratory experiments. I have worked with my colleagues to edit and improve all of the laboratory modules for CHEM400/402 to be more engaging, low cost, and clear to the students. I have written one entirely novel laboratory module that has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Chemical education [5]I have further involved student inquiry and hypothesis in the CHEM402. Most of my efforts have been directed at making the connection between lecture-based learning and lab-based learning more obvious. For example, in CHEM400 students study enzyme kinetics, build a model enzyme, evaluate data on their enzyme, and take an exam on enzymes prior to evaluating enzymes in the laboratory. After students evaluate enzymes in the laboratory, write a lab report on the enzymes, and take a quiz on the enzymes, they see enzymes again on their comprehensive final. Students are not given the opportunity to forget about enzymes, furthermore, if students experienced a misunderstanding early on in the semester, they are presented with the information multiple times to allow opportunities for correction. This type of progression occurs for several topics in CHEM400, including proteins, protein purification, and carbohydrates. In each case, students must use and apply lecture-based material to generate and analyze data in lab.

In CHEM402, facilitating this connection is more difficult, as the students enrolled in lab may not have had me as their CHEM400 instructor and may not be concurrently enrolled in CHEM401. While I do refer to material they have previously learned to refresh their memories, I find that assigning a prelab in which they must provide two sources worth of background information and a hypothesis as to the outcome of the laboratory has aided students in identifying information to aid their success in lab. For example, students monitor the metabolism of a simple carbohydrate, glucose, during CHEM402. In order to succeed in this lab, they must remember some basic structural information from CHEM400, know the basic pathways of glucose metabolism, and predict the outcomes of this metabolism in fermenting yeast. After the lab, they must analyze their data and write a report integrating the background information with the data. Though I have no way to confirm, I would not be surprised to find that students remember more about glycolysis because they concurrently enroll in CHEM402 and CHEM401, and thus perform better on the associated questions during the summative assessment, which demonstrates an increase of 9-60% correct answers after the completion of the semester (Questions 12-15).

Method 4: Application-based exams and comprehensive final exams
As a product of memorization based education, I recognize that memorization in undergraduate biochemistry is neither good for longevity of knowledge nor understanding of concepts. As such, I teach students how to solve problems based on information given (whether mathematically, graphically, or logically) and assess their learning by providing application based exams. For example, an exam on enzyme kinetics might require students to model a chemical equation from a paragraph description of the enzyme function; it might later give them some information graphically and require students to calculate the Michaelis-Menten (Vmax, Km, kcat) from the data. In either of these cases, the example is novel to the student, and they must apply the concepts they have learned previously to solve this ‘new’ problem.

Students usually perform poorly on the first exam each semester. However, over the course of the semester, exam scores increase and they learn to think like scientists (Table 5, F2011 omitted due to incomparable exam schedule). Additionally, students retain information; year-long assessment data indicates that students increase assessment scores by 25-30% over the course of the semester each semester, indicating an excellent improvement in biochemistry knowledge (Table 6). Furthermore, students demonstrate less than 15% loss of knowledge when assessed in April about material learned in fall semester. This is an incredible statistic, as educational psychologists have demonstrated that 81% of material is usually lost by 28 days post-educational event event [1].

Table 5: Evidence of improved exam scores and continued understanding of concepts in biochemistry
Semester
Exam 1
Exam 2
Exam 3
Exam 4
Final, Comprehensive
F2012
68.7
75.8
69.2
77.6
70.0
F2013
66.0
73.3
81.0
80.4
66.8
F2014
73.0
78.0
71.6
74.1
73.8
F2015
61.5
73.7
72.3
69.2
69.7
Average
69.3
75.2
73.5
75.3
70.1
Exams are inevitably the least popular assessment in my courses, however, I have considerable evidence that students are learning and retaining information in my courses. Additionally, two previous students, one working in industry and one in his second year of pharmacy school, have provided letters of recommendation for this portfolio. Both discuss at length the benefits my classes provided (Martinson, Seehusen). In an informal interaction this fall, two students took to social media with this particularly amusing endorsement of my classes (s/o stands for ‘shout out’). 


Figure 4: Student feedback on learning achievements in Biochemistry
Final Evidence of Teaching Excellence in Biochemistry:
In the 2013-2014 academic year, I instituted a formal assessment of student learning in the biochemistry curriculum. This assessment quiz was built by random selection of multiple choice questions, one from each covered chapter, from the textbook test bank. It is important to note that I do not use this test bank at all during the course; all of my exams are short answer/essay tests. I have students take the exam three times during the biochemistry series. They take it on the first or second day of classes, on one of the last days of CHEM400 prior to the final, and on one of the last days of CHEM401 prior to the fifth exam. When I tabulate the data, I analyze by question. I represent the data as a percent-change in scores from December to August (CHEM400), April to December (CHEM401), and April to August (CHEM400 and CHEM401). I would like to note that in the April to August analysis, all topics demonstrated increased knowledge via selection of the correct answer (grey bars). Topics demonstrating minor learning gains are associated with membrane dynamics and biosignalling (Questions 11 and 12) and amino acid degradation (Question 20). Question 20 content has never been covered, making it a good control, but it may have been covered in Physiology, which students often take at the same time. Additionally, students who have a strong understanding of other degradation pathways may be able to rationalize the answer. In any case, the topics covered by Questions 11 and 12 merit some consideration, as learning gains are minimal. Overall assessment outcomes are provided in tabular form (Table 6).

Figure 5: Average assessment results from two academic years of CHEM400-401.

Table 6: Compiled student assessment outcomes from two academic years of CHEM400-401.

CHEM400
CHEM401
Average % Improvement
23.5 ± 6.4
51 ± 2.8
Students assessed
101
79


In each previous PDR, I have provided evaluations for each of my courses. These are available via the following links: F2011, S2102, F2012, S2013, F2013, S2014, F2014. S2015, F2015. While specific student comments can easily be viewed in the above linked material, I have noticed two trends that support that I am providing a solid education in biochemistry. First, when students are asked to rank the difficulty of CHEM400 and CHEM401 on a scale of 1 (easy) to 5 (impossible), students continually rank these courses on the difficult side of the spectrum (Table 7).

Table 7: Average Perceived Difficulty for Biochemistry courses F2011-F2015
CHEM400
CHEM401/402
3.38 ± 0.06
3.47 ± 0.13

Despite this statistic, students continually rank my performance as an instructor high, indicating I am clear in my expectations and delivery, I provide feedback efficiently, and am consistently fair. (Figure 6, average scores are provided above corresponding metric on legend). This indicates that the content is indeed challenging for the students, but they recognize that I am supporting their learning and providing a fair assessment of their abilities.

 Figure 6: Common instructor evaluation metrics in CHEM400-401 by semesters of teaching

Additionally, in CHEM400 I ask students to rank my helpfulness and accessibility (Figure 7) on a 5-point scale. While the average scores are still excellent, there is an apparent trend in scores over time. Notably, while my helpfulness has increased slightly, my accessibility has decreased slightly. I find this inverse relationship interesting, however, I also find it inevitable. In 2011, I had 52 students. In 2012 and 2013, I had 62 and 69 students in this course, respectively. I am reliably available for students during my 10 office hours per week, and previously colleagues have commented on the relative busy-ness of my office hours. I have actually determined that I cannot have overlap between my research activities and my office hours, and I have segregated those activities in my schedule in 2013 and 2014. In 2014, CHEM400 experienced a drop in enrollment and a slight increase in student perceptions of my availability, indicating that this may be related to student-to-teacher ratio rather than available hours. Again, these numbers are quite high, and slight changes are not statistically significant in these cases.

Figure 7: Student perceptions of instructor helpfulness and accessibility in CHEM400 over time

Reflection on teaching of non-biochemistry curriculum

I have noted that I also instruct other courses occasionally. Specifically, I have instructed CHEM210 (General, Organic, and Biochemistry) as a five-week course in the summer for four summers. I have instructed one section of OR100 for three years. I have instructed the advanced elective CHEM439 (Biochemistry of Drug Metabolism) once, and I have instructed PSM602 (Scientific Ethics) once. Evaluations were completed for CHEM210 (2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015), CHEM439, and PSM602.

CHEM210: General, Organic, and Biochemistry is a one-semester survey of chemistry for health science majors, specifically pre-nursing majors. This course is offered both spring and fall in large lecture sections. We offer this course in a five-week session, which is quite exhausting for the students. Additionally, I must note that over 75% of my students work extensively in healthcare during this time. Approximately 25-30% of my summer students are retaking the course after a poor grade during the school year. Approximately 10-20% of the students take the course in the summer to ‘get a jump’ on the next school year.

The goals of the course are to prepare pre-nursing students for their nursing program courses. Specifically, pharmacology benefits from a chemistry background. I have interacted with nursing faculty to understand the needs of the course. It is my understanding that the nursing program wishes the students to be quite competent in basic calculations, recognition of acid/base interactions, and basic structural components of drugs.

In my classroom, you will see a considerable amount of similar teaching and learning activities that you would find in my CHEM400-401 sections. I spend more time coaching basic calculations, as the nursing program is concerned about the student’s proficiency in calculations. Additionally, I spend a considerable amount of time in lab developing labs that describe drug interactions,such as the acid/base interactions of Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs(NSAIDS) in the gut and intestine.
Another note I have taken from the nursing program is the use of remedial learning to gain proficiency. Students are asked to learn a lot of material very quickly in this summer session of CHEM210. I allow students to remediate exams in which they have obtained less than 81%. The remediation process is long, but if performed correctly, it ensures students understand the errors that they have made. In the initial year of implementation, the remediation process did exactly that, however in recent years I have experienced students with a lack of motivation in the classroom, and unfortunately they do not complete the remediations by the due date.

Students are assessed by four exams and a cumulative final. In the four years I have taught the class, there have been few students who have not remediated at least one exam. In 2014, all students required remediation on at least one exam. However, I have found that the students who remediate their exams to the maximum score do very well on the cumulative final. Students who do not remediate their exams to the maximum score tend to receive low grades on the cumulative final.
It is hard to teach this course in a 5-week session, however, student evaluations of me as an instructor are not poor (Figure 8). I have no experience teaching this course in the 15-week format, nor am I familiar with the average evaluation of instructors for this format. I can only try to improve the aspects that students find I need to improve, which previously appeared to be clarity. I would note that I did make considerable effort to improve my clarity in 2015, but we also used a different textbook. The new textbook was considerably more clear and concise.


Figure 8: Instructor evaluation metrics in CHEM210 summer sessions from 2012-2014

CHEM439 Biochemistry of Drug Metabolism is an advanced elective. I have only taught this course once, and I elected to step out of my comfort zone and try to run this course as a seminar. I remember several successful and meaningful seminar courses from my graduate education, but I found this course with this student population did not quite work as a seminar. Students did not come prepared and refused to refresh material on their own. It made meaningful discussion difficult. Final summative assessments from the class demonstrated that students received grades that were inflated when compared to their knowledge level (70% on summative assessment vs. 84% final grade). However, I did project-based learning for the second half of the semester, and I would do that again. Students gave written and oral presentations on the mechanisms and efficacy of drugs in pre-clinical trials. In the future, I would lecture basic drug mechanisms for the first half of the class, give one exam, and base the rest of the course on the projects. 

PSM602 Scientific Ethics is a graduate level course that is part of the Professional Science Master’s program. I designed this course and had it approved via five departments in the College of Science and Engineering. It is a hybrid course. Some of the quizzes, reading, and writing occur outside of class and we meet for 10 hours per semester. These meetings focus on discussions with area experts in different areas of ethics and industry. Though the seminar-based approach did not work for my undergraduate advanced elective, I am finding this approach to be quite appropriate for my graduate students.

In order to gauge learning of ethical behaviors, students take multiple assessments throughout the semester. They take an initial exam of ethics knowledge at the beginning of the semester; some students have more knowledge than others as scores range from 64-92% (Mean 79%) on the 50-question assessment. During the semester they are presented with reading, quizzes, and experts in conduct, animal protections, human protections, environmental ethics, data management, and use of controlled substances. Experts were invited from WSU, Fastenal, Mayo Clinic, Benchmark Electronics, Minnesota Valley Testing Lab, and Winona County Environmental Division. On the last day of class, they evaluate case studies. They also take the ethics test again and write a reflection on what they have learned throughout the course. Final ethics test scores increase on average from 68 to 86% (+18%). This is especially notable as many students obtained scores above 90% on the pre-test, making gains marginal. I asked for evaluations from the students via qualtrics, and only 3/8 students completed the evaluation.

OR100 Orientation is a mandatory course for first-semester freshmen. I volunteered to teach OR100 because I really miss working with incoming freshmen. This is my third year teaching that course, and it is always interesting. I have spent a good amount of time learning about the university in order to help my students find the resources they need. While I have very little control over the curriculum for this course, I can attest that I try to be welcoming and helpful while planning activities that coincide with the university’s goals for this course. While participation in each class is ‘required’, any student with a keen eye for points can see that they could miss almost every class and still obtain a passing grade if they did the homework and projects. Even so, the students come to class and seem to enjoy it! Each year I routinely see >90% attendance. Additionally, students write reflection letters to me at the end of the semester, and I serve as a contact point for them if they need anything in the future. I have received several heartfelt letters and e-mails indicating that I am a helpful, welcoming resource for them.
 “Honestly orientation was one of my favorite classes… My favorite part though was the energy. All us students knew we weren’t going to be given some boring lecture or given a five-page essay when we walked through the doors, so everyone was in good spirits. We also got to play games and interact with each other, which helped a lot. It was a great time to just relax and get to know a few people going through the same work you are.”

“The one thing that I found helpful with this class was that you helped us out with a lot of stuff that I had questions about. Like scheduling and classes and different things like that. Thanks for being such a great orientation professor. I feel like you were one of the best most helpful ones!!!”

“Orientation 100 was one of the most helpful classes that I have taken for many reasons. The first reason is that it helped me with useful tips on D2L and homework/study tips that I use every day. Another reason that it was a very helpful class is because of all the friends that I was able tom make. It helped me to feel more ingrained at campus, and it allowed the transition from home to college life a lot easier.”

Summary of Teaching Excellence in Non-Biochemistry Curriculum

In reflection of methods for teaching non-biochemistry curriculum, I can identify three major themes for success:
·        Be open, helpful, and receptive to student needs

·        Understand the student’s goals and motivations

·        Identify the most important aspects of student learning and keep that content rigorous
Though my experience teaching courses outside of my expertise has been minimal, I have sought out new experiences (e.g. OR100 and PSM602) and aim to continue to learn from and improve upon my techniques.


[1] Pauk, W. How to Study in College, 6th Ed.; Houghton Mifflin Company: Boston, 1997.
[2] Karpicke, J.D.; Roediger, H.L. Repeated retrieval during learning is the key to long-term retention. J. Mem. Lang. 2007, 57, 151-162.
[3] Rowe, N. C. Cheating in Online Student Assessment: Beyond Plagiarism. Online J. Dist. Learn. Admin. 2004, 7 (2).
[4] Boyle, J. P. et. al. Projection of the year 2050 burden of diabetes in the US adult population: dynamic modeling of incidence, mortality, and prediabetes prevalence. Pop. Health Met. 2010, 8 (29).
[5] Mann, F.M. Identification and Analysis of Bioactive Components of Fruit and Vegetable Products. J. Chem. Ed. 2015, Articles ASAP doi: 10.1021/ed500309y


   Teaching Excellence At-A-Glance
All activities are since the start of my appointment in August 2011
For a full list of all scholarly activities, see my CV
                                                                                                                                                         
Courses delivered:
·        OR100
·        CHEM210
·        CHEM400
·        CHEM401
·        CHEM402
·        CHEM439
·        PSM602
Courses developed:
·        PSM602
Learning activities developed:
CHEM210
·        Math review worksheet
CHEM400
·        pH andBuffers
·        ProteinFunction
·        EnzymeKinetics (worksheet)
·        EnzymeKinetics II (full-formal) (Submitted to BAMBED)
·        Carbohydrate Bingo
·        Propertiesof DNA
·        IntegratedDNA Technologies
·        Propertiesof Lipids
·        Correct-A-Lab
·        Discussion boards
CHEM401
·        BiosignallingI
·        BiosignallingII
·        Glycolysis
·        CitricAcid Cycle
·        Photosynthesis activity
·        Carbon fixation
·        Metabolic maps
·        Discussion boards
·        Optional online quizzes
New laboratory modules developed and executed:
CHEM210
·        Measurements
·        pH and titrations
·        Aspirin synthesis
CHEM400
·        Microscale measurements
CHEM401
·        Antioxidant content of fruits and vegetables (Published in J. Chemical Education)
·        Design your own lab
Course and Instructor assessments:
·        Instructor assessments result in rankings above 4/5 on student assessments of delivery, expectations, accessibility, helpfulness, feedback, efficiency, and fairness in CHEM400 and/or 401 (Mean: 4.6 ± 0.15 across all parameters)
·        Instructor assessments result in rankings about 4/5 on student assessments of clarity, expectations, efficiency, and fairness in CHEM210 (Mean: 4.42 ± 0.28 across all parameters)
·        Efficacy of student retention results in 25% knowledge gain per semester and >80% retention when assessed 4 months post delivery.

Back to Cover Page
Next: Criterion 2