Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Criterion 2



Since August of 2011, I have formed local, national, and international collaborations to pursue research opportunities, submitted six manuscripts for publication, written 10 grants generating over $200,000.00 in funding for research and educational activities, peer-reviewed four articles for publication, presented my research locally and internationally, reorganized and developed new laboratory curriculum to enable inexpensive and inquiry based education, and continued my efforts to improve upon my own knowledge and expertise. I am continually working towards new scholarly achievements, and I believe I am a very active member of the faculty. Furthermore, several of my colleagues and collaborators have provided letters of support for my scholarly activities, which I believe highlight my value to both the university and greater scientific community (Crick, Deyo, Johnston, Mueller/Zemke, Wilson).

I believe my contributions fall into two greater categories. I perform scholarly work to improve educational activities at WSU. I also perform scholarly work to benefit my subfield of natural products chemistry (specifically, bacterial isoprenoid natural products). Using these categories as a guide, I aim to succinctly overview my scholarly achievements while employed at WSU.  

Scholarly works to improve educational activities at WSU

I am a passionate biochemistry educator, and I continually aim to provide a diverse learning environment to best prepare my students for the workforce or further education. As discussed in Criterion 1, I continually develop and implement new classroom activities to enable student learning. Most of my activities are inexpensive or free, however, the laboratory portion of the biochemistry series had been the most expensive for the Chemistry department to provide prior to my joining the faculty. As we have served approximately 150-200 students per academic year since 2011, some expense is necessary. However, I have worked to lower the cost per student while still providing a diverse laboratory experience.

In order to provide exceptional education at a low cost, I have updated several laboratory modules for CHEM400, CHEM402, and CHEM210 to use less expensive reagents (e.g. BCA protein assay was replaced with Bradford protein assay). I included some aspects of inquiry-based education in CHEM402 by incorporating Lab Hypothesis Forms, which allow the student some latitude in predicting the outcomes of the laboratory. After observing the success of incorporating these inquiry-based forms, I aimed to further reduce costs and incorporate a greater emphasis on inquiry-based education. I wrote a grant to theNational Science Foundation to acquire microplate readers in conjunction with reimagining the biochemistry curriculum in order to promote inquiry and reduce costs (thus overcoming the cost-prohibitive nature of inquiry based education). Unfortunately, this grant was not funded. It was reviewed positively, but the granting agency wanted to see a large-scale implementation of the project across multiple schools. As a newcomer to the area, I didn’t know any other biochemistry instructors, and I felt that was a request I could not satisfy. Instead, I wrote grants and requested allocations from the department’s equipment funds to acquire and/or fix equipment that would allow me to pursue the curricular aspects of the plan. Specifically, I was able to purchase a refrigerated shaker/incubator via WSU Foundation funds with matching support from my department. We used this machine to study complementary metabolic pathways to aerobic respiration in the first year we had it. We ran into a small problem in the second year, as we did not have equipment that would allow for breaking open cells quickly and easily, and the department was able to purchase a probe sonicator for this purpose. I received equipment funds from the department to refurbish a chromatographic instrument that had been left unused for at least six years; students in CHEM402 used it the next semester. Finally, I wrote a MnSCU leveraged equipment grant with Prof. Myoung Lee to acquire three microplate readers for microscale analysis, which allows us to drastically cut our costs for reagents. We have already implemented use of the microplate readers in CHEM400, CHEM375, CHEM213, and some individual projects developed in CHEM425, and more instructors plan to use this equipment in future semesters. While the equipment aspect of the curriculum has improved drastically in my time, I still wish to pursue inquiry- or problem-based learning in the biochemistry laboratory. In order to develop the connections necessary to network this effort as NSF requires, I developed a survey on the assessment and course implementation styles of biochemistry courses taught in the upper Midwest and initiated contact with various schools in a six state area. The discovered content of this project is covered in more detail under Criterion 3, however several schools responded directly to me indicating that they saw virtue in continued discussions regarding biochemistry curriculum and assessment (Example). I see this activity providing a bridge to future discussions and networking opportunities in biochemistry. I further developed these relationships by attending an ASBMB meeting in 2015 that focused on transforming undergraduate education in biochemistry, and I met many of the educators in the Midwest who are passionate about these efforts. I hope to explore accreditation through ASBMB for our biochemistry major in the future.

In my efforts to continually improve the biochemistry curriculum, I am aware of the costs of providing the laboratory for 100-120 students. Previous to my start at WSU, the biochemistry laboratories had the highest cost per student of any chemistry laboratories. I have driven down the cost of performing these labs by making simple swaps in reagents and reorganizing the laboratories to maximize student learning and minimize costs. However, one reagent vexed me from the beginning. During a protein purification module (a hallmark of biochemistry labs), we use the dye-linked purification matrix Cibracron Blue-Agarose. This reagent is the best at what it does, which is purify proteins, but it is incredibly expensive. Each year the price jumps by at least $100.00. Recognizing that this presents both a financial challenge to us and an opportunity to fill a hole in the marketplace, I have teamed up with Dr. Jennifer Zemke, Chemistry WSU, and Dr.Jaime Mueller, Chemistry SMU, to develop a novel dye linked resin to replace the expensive reagent. Dr. Zemke is working on methods to connect dyes to various support matrices. Dr. Mueller is functionalizing dyes to have better affinity for the protein. Much of the initial research is out of my hands, but Dr. Zemke and I hope to have some preliminary products to test this spring. Once dyes are created and/or linked to matrices, I will be able to assess their binding to the protein of interest. If we are able to produce a cheap and effective purification matrix, we can patent it and potentially market it. In 2015, we teamed up with Lisa Reicks of Stage One Group to explore moving our product to market. Dr. Zemke and I took a minicourse in entrepreneurship via Udacity (Steve Blanks “How to Build a Startup”) and built a business model canvas. We have explored potential customers for this reagent, and we plan to start interviewing such customers to determine if our product meets the needs of the market. This is clearly outside of our expertise, and we are excited to both learn a new skill set and see our project to completion in the coming years. If successful, this project may serve as one of the first projects under the Innovation Valley umbrella.

My passion for developing novel learning activities in biochemistry has resulted in two manuscripts. In CHEM402, I developed a lab examining the antioxidant capacity and molecular makeup of juices that contains two skills modules and an inquiry-based module. While technically titled ‘Analysis and Identification of Antioxidants in Fruit and Vegetable Juice’, students call it ‘The Juice Lab’, and it’s been incredibly popular since its inception in 2012. Recently I was able to publish ‘The Juice Lab’ as a laboratory experiment in the Journal of Chemical Education [1]‘The Juice Lab’ is so popular with my biochemistry courses that I developed a service learning activity that I detailed in Criterion 4. In order to fund that activity, Kent Hansen and I each lead authored small grants. I took care of writing a curriculum grant, and Kent lead-authored a special projects grant. With the help of this funding, we were able to provide over 1000 juice samples to over 350 visitors during our activity that highlighted ‘The Juice Lab’.

In addition to the successful publication and application of ‘The Juice Lab’, I have also submitted a manuscript detailing an activity that I do with my CHEM400 students regarding enzyme structure, function, and graphical modeling to the Journal of Chemical Education. Unfortunately, this went through two rounds of review and was met with skepticism by one particularly negative reviewer. When I received the reviews in the summer of 2015, I felt too frustrated to fight the decision, but upon later analysis, I wish I had argued with the editor. Two of the three reviews were quite positive. I actually was very frustrated until I went to the ASBMB meeting where I found many other educators who see the value in such activities and was encouraged to reformat the article for publication in the journal Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education (BAMBED). I have completed that recently and hope for a more favorable review at this journal.

Finally, I have used my grant writing skills to support the goals of the College of Science and Engineering. During my time at WSU, COSE has developed a new degree, the Professional Science Masters (PSM) in Applied Research and Management. I was immediately involved in that process when I joined the faculty, and I was one of the initial co-authors on the grant that has funded our initial actions. MnSCU sponsored $50,000.00 and the WSU administration matched that value to provide start-up funding for program development, advertisement, recruiting, and networking. I have described my continued involvement in the PSM program in Criterion 5 as it is one of my main service activities at the university. My other, more recent, grant writing experience occurred in 2014. I was approached by Dr. Amy Runck to co-author a grant to the National Science Foundation for Major Research Instrumentation in order to acquire a next-generation DNA sequence analyzer. This machine is well outside the scope of any department’s budget, and I worked with several faculty members in an interdepartmental endeavor to acquire this piece of machinery. My specific contributions involve writing my segment of the research applications, providing background information on the school and the programs within the college, and acquiring a letter of support from Prof. Debra Martin at St. Mary’s University in Winona, MN. Unfortunately this grant was not funded, but I do believe we can rewrite it in the coming years and acquire this important and useful piece of equipment.

Scholarly works to benefit the field of natural products biochemistry

My research interests lie in the field of natural products chemistry. Specifically, I am interested in the evolution of biosynthetic machinery for the production of a family of natural products: the isoprenoids. In my graduate and postdoctoral work, I characterized the biosynthetic machinery for a virulence factor unique to the pathogen Mycobacterium tuberculosis (M.tb). Upon starting at WSU, it was my intention to use what knowledge I had gained on that project to build several related projects in bacterial isoprenoid biosynthesis. However, my graduate advisor experienced a funding drought related to that project and has been sending various would-be collaborators my way. As a result, I have a successful collaboration with Dr. Marcel Behr from McGill University in Montreal. He is engineering a close relative of M.tb by addition of the M.tb virulence factor using genetic modifications. I assay his cultures to determine if, in fact, the encoded product is produced. In 2015, his student was able to present the research at the Canadian Society of Microbiology. I provided a letter of support for his most recent grant renewal, and we hope to continue this collaboration in the future. In addition, I consult with various projects involving the production and assay of this virulence factor, and my graduate advisor and I wrote a minireview on the discovery and characterization of said metabolite in 2012. This review is published in the journal Medicinal Chemistry Communications [2].

I am also fortunate to collaborate with Dr. Jodie Johnston of the University of Aukland, New Zealand and Dr. Dean Crick of Colorado State University on M.tb related projects close to my line of interest. Both collaborators have provided letters of support for my research program (linked to their names), and both have been very supportive of my inclusion of undergraduate researchers on projects, though this understandably slows the rate of research productivity.

Dr. Crick and I work with Dr. Brian VanderVen, who is a postdoctoral researcher in the laboratory of Dr. David Russell at Cornell University. Dr. Crick and I are both interested in the apparent redundancy of biosynthetic enzymes used to produce isoprenoids in M.tb. Dr. VanderVen has produced a genetic knockout for one of the important enzymes in these pathways and Dr. Crick grows it and studies the morphology of the mutant in his laboratory. His group performs a lipid extraction that allows my students, Courtney Nygaard (CLS, ’14) and Ally Guthrie (Chemistry, ’15) to study the isoprenoid chemicals produced. Courtney was able to present her research at the American Chemical Society meeting in 2013. Ally will present her research at Experimental Biology 2015. Both of these projects are described in greater detail under Criterion 4.

My collaboration with Dr. Johnston involve the characterization of an enzyme encoded by M.tb, Rv2173. This enzyme is likely involved in early biosynthetic processes for production of isoprenoids, and Dr. Johnston has solved the crystal structure. Several students have worked on this project over the years, however, we have difficulty obtaining replicate data sets. Recently, I have started a collaboration with Dr. Raimund Nagel, who will try using Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectroscopy to analyze enzymatic products. As we do not have access to this machine at WSU, I am grateful he is willing to work with us. If he is successful, we plan to combine Dr. Johnston’s crystallographic data, my bioinformatic and molecular biology work, and Dr. Nagel’s functional characterization into a manuscript.

My work in isoprenoid production in M.tb is fairly unique. Few work in bacterial isoprenoids, and fewer are interested in early biosynthetic pathways. I have made some interesting bioinformatic observations that have come to fruition in functional studies. In 2012, I was able to publish some of this work in Frontiers in Microbiolog[3]The journal recognized my unique viewpoint and asked me to serve as Associate Guest Editor for related articles and aid in the recruitment of talent to their journal. In 2014, I was able to recruit an article from Dr. Beh[4].


M.tb is a very interesting system to study isoprenoids, but it is difficult to work in that field without the help of collaborations as we cannot grow the bacteria on the WSU campus. I have pursued related projects using other bacteria as hosts. In my first two years at WSU, I worked on the photosynthetic bacteria, Rhodospirillum rubrum (R.rub), which has a minimalistic isoprenoid biosynthetic pathway. This is in stark contrast to M.tb, which has expansive redundancy in its genome. Initial results by Brittany Hemelgarn and Kevin Vickerman were excellent, however, the project is not ‘sexy’ and I’ve had difficulty filling it in recent years. Mike Allen performed some molecular biology analysis in Spring of 2015, but he was not able to produce a publishable product. Alison Seemann has recently cloned the remaining gene and will commence characterizing it this spring. I will likely perform the preliminary metabolic analysis of the pathway this spring and hopefully try to obtain a student for AY2016-2017 to complete the project. this project just requires 2-3 more major experiments before it is publishable.

Mike Allen has already completed a portion of a project on the evolution of isoprenoid biosynthetic pathways in Corynebacterium. He and Kacie Nelson are exploring a potential redundancy that evolved in between Corynebacterium glutamicum and close relatives, such as Corynebacterium efficiens. Both students will present their work at Experimental Biology 2015.

Though the potential projects involving evolution of isoprenoid biosynthetic pathways are endless, these projects are also quite expensive. In the current funding environment, they are also hard to fund, as they do not have hard-and-fast connections to human disease, energy, defense, or food. I have worked to expand my research base to include some less expensive projects that are still rigorous and interesting. One such project directly connects my background in bacterial natural products with an inexpensive food- and disease-related topic. This project involves the fermentation of black tea by the symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY) to produce kombucha. Kombucha is a beverage with a multitude of medicinal applications, but we are specifically interested in the effect of kombucha on digestion. My student Mallory Villeneuve was able to draw the connection between kombucha and inhibition of the enzyme amylase, which is required for starch digestion. This is an interesting connection because it suggests kombucha may contain a hypoglycemic, or anti-diabetic molecule of interest. We were able to obtain a kombucha donation from a company that makes kombucha, GT’s Kombucha, in 2013. This allowed Mallory and fellow student, Katie Seehusen, to use a controlled batch of kombucha to further analyze the connection between the natural products and amylase inhibition.Samantha Armando, Rebecca Schneider, and Michael Strauss have performed further analysis as they have prepared SCOBY in the presence and absence of black tea and determined the effect of the black tea on amylase inhibition. This project has produced four student presentations at national meetings, one local meeting presentation, and I am currently vying for an oral presentation of the work at a national meeting. Additionally, I have recently submitted the first of what I hope to be two papers highlighting the work from this project to the journal Food Chemistry. Finally, Dr. Ted Wilson (Biology)  and I have recruited three students to analyze the antioxidant capacity of the products prepared by Samantha, Rebecca, and Michael. We hope that this will also lead to some publishable content in future years.

Finally, I donate my expertise in biochemistry techniques to projects not related to natural products research. For example, I have had several collaborations with Dr. Ted Wilson, WSU Biology, which have resulted in student presentations at national conferences. Some have been initiated by me, such as a 2014 presentation of antioxidant effects of kombucha tea at Experimental Biology, but some are initiated by him. Currently, I am aiding his students in measuring gastric emptying during a nutritional physiology study for which he has received USDA funding. Our student, Rachel Dahl, will present at Experimental Biology 2015, and this project will likely result in 1-2 publications upon completion of the analysis.

I was also lucky to be approached by Dr. Rich Deyo, WSU Psychology, and Maria Noterman (Biochemistry, ’14) to consult on a project with Maria. Though I am not a neuroscientist in any fashion, working with Maria on a neuroscience project was a joyous occasion. I was able to teach her various staining and immunoblotting techniques and we were able to help her present her research at the regional, state, and national level in 2013-2014. I am currently helping with the preparation of this manuscript resulting from her work.

I continue to gather new projects, and with them, new students. As will be discussed in Criterion 3, I continually try to stay abreast of new research topics so I am able to host a variety of student researchers. I remain open to new collaborations, and my students are able to work with some of the best researchers on their projects. Though it is difficult, I publish manuscripts detailing the results of our studies, and I am continually searching for new funding resources. In future years, I am excited to see these initial studies pay off in both research funding and publications.


[1] Mann, F.M. Identification and Analysis of Bioactive Components of Fruit and Vegetable Products. J. Chem. Ed. 2015, Articles ASAP doi: 10.1021/ed500309y
[2] Mann, F.M.; Peters, R.J. Isotuberculosinol: the unusual case of an immunomodulatory diterpenoid from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Med. Chem. Comm. 2012, 3, 899-904.
[3] Mann, F.M.; Peters, R.J. Functional characterization and evolution of the isotuberculosinol operon in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Front. Micro. 2012, 3 (368), 1-8.
[4] Wang, J.; Behr, M. Building a better bacillus: the emergence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Front. Micro. 2014, 5 (139).






Scholarly Activities At-A-Glance
All activities are since the start of my appointment in August 2011
For a full list of all scholarly activities, see my CV
Grants
Winona State University Professional Improvement Fund 2016 “Conference Attendance 2016” $1000.00
          Role: Primary Investigator
Winona State University Professional Improvement Fund 2015 “Conference Attendance and Presentation 2015” $2000.00
          Role: Primary investigator
Diabetes Action Research and Education Foundation Grant 2014 ‘Characterization of the hypoglycemic biomolecules in Kombucha tea’$39,587 unfunded, but positively received
Role: Primary investigator
MnSCU Leveraged Equipment Grant ‘Microscale experimentation: Intrumentation to modernize curriculum, reduce waste, and lower operating costs in Chemistry’ 2014, $81,654 grant & $116,148 industry matching funds
Role: Primary investigator
Winona State University Learning and Community Engagement Curriculum Grant 2014 ‘Chemistry of a healthy, antioxidant rich diet’ $500
Role: Primary investigator
Winona State University Foundation Special Projects Grant 2014 ‘Chemistry of a healthy, antioxidant rich diet’ $500
Role: Co-PI
National Science Foundation Major Research Instrumentation grant 2014 ‘Aquisition of a Benchtop Next Generation Sequencer to Enhance Research and Train the Next Generation of Scientists at Winona State University’ $131,000 unfunded
Role: Co-PI
Winona State University Professional Improvement Fund 2014 “Acquisition of software to develop 2-D and 3-D chemical structures for classroom and scholarly activity” $1159
Role: Primary investigator
Winona State University Professional Improvement Fund 2013 “Conference Attendance 2013” $2000
Role: Primary investigator
National Science Foundation Transforming Undergraduate Education in STEM Grant 2012 ‘Facilitating Effective and Efficient Student Guided Biochemistry Laboratories with Curriculum Development, Micro scale Experimentation, and Peer-Supported Networks’ $75,254 unfunded, but positively reviewed (4 ‘Good’ and 1 ‘Very Good’ review)
Role: Primary investigator
MnSCU Professional Science Master’s Grant in ‘Applied Research and Management’ 2012, $50,000
Role: Co-PI
Winona State University Foundation Special Projects Grant 2011 “Biochemistry Curriculum for the 21st Century”$2,500
Role: Primary investigator

Manuscripts
Dickman, M.A., Armando, S., Schneider, R. Seehusen, K., Strauss, M., Mann, F.M. (2016) Characterization of the mechanism of a-amylase inhibition by Kombucha black tea. Food Chem. (submitted)
Mann, Francis M. (2016) Creativity in the classroom: macroscale modeling and graphical analysis of enzyme kinetics. Biochem. Mol. Bio. Ed. (in review)

Mann, Francis M. (2014) Identification and analysis of bioactive components of fruit and vegetable products; a biochemistry laboratory activity. J. Chem. Ed. Articles ASAP doi: 10.1021/ed500309y

Mann, Francis M. and R.J. Peters (2012) Functional characterization and evolution of the isotuberculosinol operon in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Front. Evol. Gen. Micro., 3 (368), 1-8.

Mann, Francis M., R.J.Peters (2012) Isotuberculosinol: the unusual case of an immunomodulatory diterpenoid from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Med. Chem. Comm., 3, 899-904.

Zhou, K., Gao, Y., Hoy, J. A., Mann, F. M., Honzatko, R. B., & Peters, R. J. (2012). Insights into Diterpene Cyclization from Structure of Bifunctional Abietadiene Synthase from Abies grandis. The Journal of biological chemistry, 287(9), 6840–6850
Oral Presentations
Mann, Francis M. “Characterization of Kombucha tea as an inhibitor of α-amylase” 2016 Experimental Biology, San Diego, CA (pending approval, alternately will be a poster presentation)

Mann, Francis M. “Evolution of isoprenyl diphosphate synthases: gatekeeper to greater terpenoid metabolism”
11th International Meeting on Biosynthesis, Function and Biotechnology of Isoprenoids in Terrestrial and Marine Organisms 2013 Kolyvmari, Crete, Greece
Mann, Francis M. “Evolution of isoprenyl diphosphate synthases in bacteria” Winona/La Crosse area American Chemical Society Awards Banquet 2013, LaCrosse, WI
Poster Presentations since 2011 (including student presenters)
Hager, Patrick and F.M. Mann (2015) Quantification of phenolics in kombucha tea. 4th Annual Minnesota Conference of Undergraduate Scholarly and Creative Activity, Winona, MN. (oral)

Koss, Robert and F.M. Mann (2015) Escherichia coli as a recombinant host for isoprenoid biosynthetic genes from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Judith Ramaley Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship, Winona State University, Winona, MN

Strauss, Michael J. and F.M. Mann (2015) Kombucha metabolite inhibition of digestive enzyme α-amylase. Judith Ramaley Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship, Winona State University, Winona, MN

Villari, Taylor A., H. Samuelson, and F.M. Mann (2015) Growth inhibition of dandelion root extracts on the model system Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Judith Ramaley Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship, Winona State University, Winona, MN

Dahl, Rachel A., F.M. Mann, T.J. Hooks, T.W. Wilson (2015) Gastric clearance does not influence glycemic response to cranberry juice in metabolic syndrome subjects. Experimental Biology 2015, Boston, MA.

Guthrie, Allison, and F.M. Mann (2015) Determination of methods to separate and analyze small and large chain isoprenoids from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Experimental Biology 2015, Boston, MA.

Allen, Michael, K.J. Nelson, F.M. Mann (2014) Investigation of evolutionary events in  Corynebacteriaceae by examination of prenyltransferases in Corynebacterium glutamicum. Minnesota Academy of Sciences Winchell Undergraduate Research Symposium, St. Mary’s University, Winona, MN

Swanson, Zachary and F. M. Mann (2014) Use of Molecular Modeling to Direct the Functional Characterization of a Suspected Short-chain Prenyltransferase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Judith Ramaley Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship, Winona State University, Winona, MN

Villeneuve, Mallory A. and F.M. Mann (2014) Enzymatic effects of pancreatic amylase inhibition by Kombucha tea. Experimental Biology 2014, San Diego, CA

Seehusen, Katherine J., M.A. Villeneuve, F.M. Mann (2014) Characterization of active compounds produced in the biotransformation of metabolites in Kombucha tea. Experimental Biology 2014, San Diego, CA

Noterman, Maria F., F.M. Mann, R.A. Deyo (2014) Alzheimer’s-like Behavior and Pathology in a Transgenic Mouse Model of Down Syndrome. Experimental Biology 2014, San Diego, CA

Rush, Kelli, C. Gustafson, K. Seehusen, T. Wilson, and F.M. Mann (2014) Kombucha Tea Antioxidant Activity, Experimental Biology 2014, San Diego, CA

Labeots, Joseph M. Allen, and F.M. Mann (2013) Gene encoding of Corynebacterium glutamicum. Judith Ramaley Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship, Winona State University, Winona, MN

Sempf, Jessica, L. Luhring, K. Kovac, F.M. Mann (2013) Determining the Function of Rv2173 in Biosynthesis of Menaquinone in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Judith Ramaley Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Scholarship, Winona State University, Winona, MN

Newton, Grant and F.M. Mann (2013) Characterization of alternative grains involved in the brewing process and analysis of product parameters. American Chemical Society 2013 Spring Meeting, New Orleans, LA

Martin, Benjamin and F.M. Mann (2013) Ethyl acetate extraction of Humulus lupulus compounds with characterization by gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy. American Chemical Society 2013 Spring Meeting, New Orleans, LA

Hemelgarn, Brittany and F.M. Mann (2013) Metabolic regulation of terpenoid biosynthesis in Rhodospirillum rubrum. American Chemical Society 2013 Spring Meeting, New Orleans, LA

Vickerman, Kevin L. and F.M. Mann (2013) Putative Rhodospirillum rubrum squalene-hopene cyclase (A0062) characterization. American Chemical Society 2013 Spring Meeting, New Orleans, LA

Nygaard, Courtney A. and F.M. Mann (2013) Identification of alternative pathways to prenyl diphosphates involved in cell wall assembly in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. American Chemical Society 2013 Spring Meeting, New Orleans, LA

Peer Review
Associate Guest Editor, Frontiers in Microbiology 2013-present
Expert reviewer
International Journal of Molecular Sciences
               Maejo International Journal of Science and Technology
               Pathogens and Disease